Monday, July 31, 2006

Holding breath...

Click!

I can't help it. I have no control over what my hand does today. Five hours to go, five hours of suspense, anticipation, hope, dread. I check the news, nothing. Return to work.

Click! There it goes again. This time, there is something. Cormier for Germano? I guess I can handle that. Cormier's had a good year. Casey goes to Tigers. Good for him. (Eyes look down at the document, up again at the screen.) What? Lohse for Ward? What!?! Click for stats. Have we just traded away a future star for another Joe Mays? Disgust. Click.

Click! Oh, only ten minutes have gone by. Getting a little mouse happy.
Click! Soriano's still a Nat. Four hours to go. Back to work with worry on my mind.

Click! Checking Lancaster, Red Reporter, Redleg Nation. Reading what people have to say about the moves so far. Checking the Natmosphere, silence. Oh, the agony. (Please keep Soriano, please keep Soriano, please keep...)

Click! Fingers crossed, eyes closed. Open one eye, picture of Soriano! Ahhh! Wait, it's only about the trade rumors, no trade yet. A's the latest. This morning it was Red Sox. Click...

CLICK! TWENTY MINUTES. Texas and KC have made a deal. Still no word on Soriano. Still no word on a Reds starter. Click, click, click, tick, click...

Fifteen minutes, my heart races. Another trade! Those words make me dizzy. Cubs and Padres. Mets and Pirates? Oh, please don't say Soriano goes to the Marlins. Click!

Tick, tick, 4pm and all is well... Click, click. Maddux a Dodger? Pirates land Chicon for Wilson? Hmm...no Soriano?...I'm still holding my breath. Click!

BREATHING NOW
! YES!

No comments: