Monday, February 23, 2009

Time out for a personal plug.

The year was 2005. The city was Philadelphia. I bought tickets to see U2 play at the Wachovia Center and wanted to make it a weekend in Philly, so naturally I checked to see if the Phillies were at home that weekend. I’d drive up from DC on Saturday morning and see the show that evening then go to a Phillies game on Sunday afternoon if there was one.

Oh, there was one.

In some sort of cosmic doing, the Reds were scheduled to make their only trip into Philly on that weekend.

I thought maybe I was in Heaven when we parked. See the Philly sports buildings are all in the same complex. The Wachovia Center is next to Citizen’s Bank Park. And that parking lot was a mix of cars with U2 blaring from their stereos and tailgaters waiting for the ballgame to start, many of them with Reds caps on. What were the chances of the Reds playing on that weekend? What were the chances? Yet it happened.

Another time, Chicago in 1997, I caught a Saturday afternoon game at Wrigley and watched U2 at Soldier Field that night. The Chub$ played the Asstros that day, but it was baseball and U2. And it was good.

On March 3, No Line on the Horizon, U2’s best album since Achtung Baby, comes out. The U2 haters will hate it, of course. I've listened to it at least 25 times and love every song on it, not like the last two where I ended up skipping half the songs. You have to listen to it a few times and think about what they're trying to do before passing judgment. Fez - Being Born may be one of the best songs they've ever recorded.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that. We're at a lull point right now until the games start on Wednesday. I mean, aside from Leatherpants possibly getting in trouble, there's not much news, is there?

No comments: