Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dear Bob: A Journey to Cincinnati, Part II - Winning is fun

Hi, Bob. Me again. Writing about my four days in Cincinnati last week. So on Saturday, my mom and I had tickets in Section 107, near Dunner, whom you shouldn't trade. We got to the ballpark early after stopping at the Inn Between in between downtown and the stadium and visited the team store so I could get a new hat. I wanted to retire my 1980s New Era cap - solid red, plain white wishbone C, beautiful - so I don't wear it out. I'll put it among my collection of baseball memorabilia. They had some nice hats in the store and some that looked like they were designed for gangsters. Don't get me started on the marketing of baseball caps to thugs, Bob, because it really bothers me. I blame Bud Selig. I chose a red Nike cap with the wishbone C and Mr. Redlegs on top. Simple is better. It cost a bit much for a hat, but oh well, someone has to pay Milton's salary, right?

We entered the stadium through the team shop gate where a nice, elderly, and somewhat senile woman let us in without checking our bags, so she didn't see the sign I had made for our three games which said, "FIRE NARRON." I had my picture taken with Paul O'Neill, Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo, and Eric Davis, as you can see from this photo. Ah, those were the days, weren't they? I held up my sign a couple of times when Jerry did his mindless lefty-righty matchups at all costs or when he pinch hit Juan "Manos de career batting average .231" Castro. Fate has dealt us a heavenly blow in knocking Castro out for the season, as it's time to give that kid Keppinger a chance.

The first thing I did once in the stadium was head for Skyline for a coney. I had a three way the next day in the blazing hot sun, that's how much I missed it. Believe me, I was never that into Skyline until I could no longer have it. And darn it, as I am thinking about it now, I realize I forgot to stop at a grocery and pick up a few cans!

After sitting in the Fan Zone picnic area listening to a song by a cover band called LoFi, we entered the stadium to watch the tail end of Reds batting practice. It's nice that you're able to watch the Reds take BP. Many stadiums won't let fans watch the home team, so it was a treat to discover it was the Reds on the field. Seeing them out there made me realize how much I missed seeing them as the home team!

One of my favorite things about you, Bob, is your appreciation for Reds history. I'm happy to see Tom Browning and Eric Davis around the Reds since you've taken over. And look - it's Pete! I really wish you could pull Larkin away from old Leatherpants. I sure would be happy to see him managing the Reds someday soon. I heard there's a manager's job up at the end of the season? (wink, wink)

You really do have an understanding of franchise players. That's why you shouldn't trade Adam Dunn - the guy is an annual 40 HR, 100 RBI, 100 R scorer.


The game was great - a 5-1 victory over the hated Deadbirds. It really shut those Pujols 5 covered fans up. I drank a few beers, ate a brat, cheered a lot, and enjoyed Brandon Phillips and David Ross shots over the outfield fence to go with that satisfying win. The night was perfect - not that oppressive Cincinnati heat that is the norm, but a comfortable game under a rising full moon and the fireworks of victory.

Anyway, that's what I did on the first Saturday I spent in Cincinnati. Here are a few more photos from that day. I hope you enjoy them, and talk to you tomorrow.





















No comments: