Friday, October 19, 2007

Zdravei

Sitting at a cafe in this very old imperial city, my very own Left Bank in another century, another millennium, watching the BMWs and the Trabants go by. The table umbrellas say Heineken, the coffee is Italian, and the political flyers on the tables say Bulgarian elections are just around the corner.

My laptop has decided it does not like Bulgaria or something, as it hasn't started in two days, which means I have not been able to watch the rest of the ALCS. I know the Rockies are going to the World Series. I know Cleveland was up 2-1 and I know two games have been played since I last checked. Please don't tell me what happened - I still hope to watch the archived games. Maybe the laptop just needs a little rest - it's not the first time this has happened. The weather here has been so beautiful, so perfect, that I would not have spent time inside on a computer anyway. Besides, isn't one of the reasons I took this trip because I was sick of staring at a computer screen all day long?

Still, baseball is in my heart. I am thinking right now about playoff excitement, the roaring crowds, the crisp autumn air (not Coco), the little white sphere sailing through the October night. I am thinking about that beautiful green only a baseball field provides. My mind is full of the bright colors, the reds and blues (and purples?) of uniforms adorned with brand new LCS or World Series patches glowing under the incandescent stadium lights.

I will watch the World Series. The place I am staying has a computer, so even if mine has gone to the electronics heaven (or hell, which is where mine should go), I'll be getting up at 3am to watch! I just hope the Tribe gets there to make it worth it. I'm sure Fox is doing everything in its power to try to get the Sox to the Series for ratings. To Fox I say, get rid of the extra crap, the excessive commercials, your horrible announcers, your stupid graphics, and your year long pregame shows and people will watch.

Go Tribe!

No comments: