Friday, December 07, 2007

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth

If you haven't seen the New York Times article about A Rod's properties, you have to read it. Rodriguez, who opted out of the richest contract in baseball just to make the Bankee$ pay him even more money, is a slimeball, a first class jerk, and I'm sure there is already a place in Hell reserved for him.

Back when Rodriguez played with the Mariners - was that when I was still in high school? - I loved him. I thought he loved the game. I tore the cover off a magazine with his picture and put it on my wall. But the things he said about Griffey when he left soured me on him, and his greedy pursuit of huge contracts completed the process.

The elbow to Bronson in the 2004 ALCS solidified my disgust for him, cheating on his wife made me want to throw peanuts at him, but that new contract created a burning contempt for him. And the fact that he won't do anything about fixing up the property he owns, that he will allow cockroaches and moldy mattresses to exist with no attempt to fix them? Charging people $100 for being a day late on rent? This is a low income place - that type of thing is bound to happen. $100 is two weeks' food for some people. How can someone who makes $30 million a year be such a jackass?

Don't answer that. Money corrupts the hearts of men. It has since the dawn of time, and it always will. But that doesn't mean you have to make excuses for the greedy.
___

No comments: