Thursday, February 22, 2007

East Village Treasure

One of my favorite things about East Village is the myriads of junk stores called "antique" or "vintage" shops. As I wandered down 2nd Avenue towards Houston Street, past statues of giant hamburgers and french fries, I came upon a store window full of toys from the eighties. I went inside and browsed the Smurfs, Care Bears, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles before discovering a box of 1988 Topps cards, a set I have about two of.

I purchased a pack for $2.50 (though I remember paying $.50 for a pack back then), but the only good card of the 15 was a Rickey Henderson card.

It's amazing to think that nearly 19 years later he's still playing baseball. I never liked him much as a player - thought him arrogant - but he has shown his love for baseball in his playing independent league baseball for the last few years.

Henderson had a great career, but this guy did not. Funny how often the "Topps All-Star Rookie" players don't make an impact in the Majors.

The gum was broken and felt harder than in 1988, which I didn't think was possible. I was tempted to stick it in my mouth just so I could say I chewed 19 year old gum, but opted to keep my health.

The East Village is awesome - you can find some real treasures there.
___

No comments: