Friday, February 29, 2008

Grapefruits are better than cactuses

I've never looked so forward to a Monday in my life.

I suppose Monday isn't going to be so pleasant, what with the plane trip to Sarasota and all. I hate flying. I hate flying more than anything I've ever experienced. And I love baseball to that extreme, so I'm going from one to the other almost immediately.

Not having subscribed to MLB.TV and Gameday Audio yet, as I don't know if I'll be in Cincy for the season or not and don't want to waste money on it if the Reds games will be blacked out, I had to rely on telepathy to figure out how today's game went. I hate not being able to listen to the games. Some things that happened:

Scott Sauerbeck, a Miami grad, was awful, walking 4 and giving up two hits in 1 inning, which led to 3 runs, 2 of them earned. Fortunately for the Reds, we have a guy named Jay Bruce to start an eighth inning rally. Bruce led off the bottom of the 8th with a single. Freel followed with a walk, which, contrary to the rather loud and archaic opinion of one Dusty Baker, is just as good as a single. Reds ended up tying it up but Tom Shearn gave up a run in the ninth and took the loss, dropping the Reds to 1-2 in fruity league play.

Homer was a bit wild in the first but got out of it and pitched a perfect second.

Drew Anderson had two hits. Don't worry, his full name is not Andrew Anderson. Just Drew. He's number 83.

FROPPER WATCH: Hopper was 0-1 but had a sacrifice fly. Freel was 0-1 with a walk and a run scored. FUTURE HALL OF FAMER JAY BRUCE was 1-2 with a run scored. I guess it was an equal day for the centerfield competitors. GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE TOTALS: FROPPER - 1-11 with 1 BB, 1 R, and 1 RBI. BRUCE - 4-7 with 1 R.

MAJEWSKI WATCH: Did not pitch, ERA still 162.00. But Scott Sauerbeck did his best Majewski impression.

TODAY'S QUESTION FOR DUSTY: Shouldn't Jay Bruce be starting so he can face the MLB pitchers and prove that he should be starting on our holy Opening Day?

Tomorrow the game's on the radio. My ears will be there.

And yes, I know the plural form of cactus is cacti. So what?

No comments: