Thursday, July 03, 2008

I can't watch

I didn't bother to watch the end of the game last night. I was so disgusted I turned it off. Losing two of three to the Pirates, wasting two home runs by Jay Bruce, having Corey Patterson still on the team, Josh Fogg wants to move back into the rotation, losing Gonzalez for the season, I just can't do this anymore.

I'm happy to see that the Rays completed a sweep of the Green $ox. Now there's a team that knows what it's doing, and a fun team to watch, too. And can you believe it? People are starting to show up at Rays games.

Now here's a good idea. Not the cowbells. The giving a promotion away only to those who don the team gear.
But the cowbells were only given to fans wearing Rays gear, a point that helped band together the faithful and elicit a sense of pride.
I'm jealous of "Raysmania." I look at the Reds and see the good young talent, but I'm tired of waiting for the future.

I'm not upset that Thompson gave up 7 runs. I'm upset that Affeldt and Bray gave up two more. I'm upset that the team didn't hit, that without Bruce's two homers and Dunn's one, there was no offense. Again. I'm upset that Ken Griffey, Jr. continues to bat third in the lineup. I'm upset that only the worst place Washington Nationals have a poorer hitting team. I'm upset that an offense that has been pretty good over the last several years was fixed so now it's broken because of some old school obsession with strikeouts. Yeah, great, we've cut down on team strikeouts. We've also cut down on HITS! And that small ball crap? We're third in baseball in caught stealings. When we do manage to get runners on, they just get thrown out on the basepaths!

I'm tired of it all. Fed up. I have nothing to write about any more. Baseball has ceased being fun for me.
"We played some good games with these guys, but the bottom line is you've got to win," Bruce said. "Good games don't count as wins."
Amen.

No comments: