Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My new job

Well, since I can't play baseball, I might as well umpire, right? Ria Cortesio is umping the game between the Cubs and D'Backs tomorrow. She is the only female professional umpire in the game, is 30 years old and has been doing it for 9 years. She's hoping to get a promotion from AA to AAA this year, but chances of her making the Majors are not high because Major League umpiring jobs rarely open up.

The players quoted in the article were cool with it. Heck, why not? I mean, the leading presidential candidate for one party is a woman, so I guess the country isn't living in the dark ages anymore.

This part was rather annoying, though:
Life in Double-A isn't luxurious. Last year, she made about $2,600 a month for the six-month season and her per diem was $25, with her hotel room paid for; big league umps can earn well over $100,000 and get $357 daily to pay for their meals and hotel.
$2600 a month isn't actually poverty-stricken.

No comments: