Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I am the Great Pretender

Anyone else uninterested out there? I have no plans on watching or listening to the Reds game tonight. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. нула. I have better things to do with my time than watch a club whose dysfunctional upper management is either too stupid or too unconcerned to put together a winning team. And why not? The Reds are making money despite it all.

Does anyone know why dysfunctional is spelled with a Y rather than an I? I've always thought that strange.

I also find it odd that I don't even know who's pitching. I barely remembered the Deadbirds were in town. It's a bit disconcerting that I don't care, but you can't just drum up fake emotions. I'm never like this at this time of year when the playoffs are out of the question and the September callups are on the field. I should be watching, because Votto is up and playing, but you know, I just can't fake it. I just can't convince myself that I care when I don't.

Or maybe I do care. Maybe I'm misreading anger for apathy. Maybe reading about Wayne firing all of those people today as if they were responsible for his own inadequacies as General Manager has something to do with it. Maybe I've just been reminded of Barton and Almaraz quitting because of Mr. Sweaterpants. Maybe I'm remembering Jerry staying a month too long, or maybe it's the fact that such luminaries as Juan Castro, Chad Moller, and Pedro Lopez lit up our bench while such talents as Votto lingered in the Minors. Maybe I'm recalling the demotion of one of the most effective relievers to make room of Gary Majewski or the fact that Victor Santos was on our roster for so long. Maybe it's the fact that Mike Stanton was signed to a two year contract and has been nothing short of awful for the duration of the season. Perhaps it is the losing despite the glow of Phillips, Hamilton, Dunn, Harang, Arroyo, Encarnacion, and Votto. Wayne does his best to smudge up shiny objects.

So I guess I am pretending. I'm pretending I don't care. I'm probably pretending I'm not going to have the game on at some point this evening. But why not? Pretending is en vogue. I mean, Wayne Krivsky is pretending to be a Major League General Manager.
___

No comments: