Monday, April 03, 2006

It's here! It's really here!

Woohoo!

I had a nice sleep in this morning, as I have taken the day off on account of this religious holiday. However, I don't think I've made enough sacrifices to the baseball gods this year, for it seems to be raining in Cincinnati, that same system that soaked the Tribe-Sox game in Chicago last night. The storm is heading this way, too, and could reach the East Coast by game time. We could have a nationwide washout. :(

I am thinking back to Opening Days past, remembering teachers in elementary school pulling in televisions to let us watch the game, and I would race home when school let out around the fourth inning so I could see the rest. There was the time when I skipped class during my freshman year of college, only to outrageously discover the game was not on network television, but as I listened on the radio, they didn't play, for home plate umpire John McSherry had a heart attack and died on the field. Not a pleasant memory. I remember the hopes we had for 1994, a season that robbed the Reds of a post season appearance when there was no post season. I recall the 2000 season, the first with a guy called Griffey. We were fresh off a season where a one game playoff verses the Mets had kept us out of the post season, and Griffey was supposed to be that missing piece of the puzzle. Sigh...

I have illogical hopes for this season, one where a few miracles can make my Reds competitive. Ahh, Opening Day, my favorite day of the year. Go Reds!

No comments: