Friday, April 21, 2006

Uno, dos, tres, seis!

I thought the Reds had bullpen woes.

John "Why do they always blow my games?" Patterson pitched a gem, striking out 8 for his Major League leading total of 32. Until the eighth inning, he had only given up three hits, all to catcher Brian "I think I" McCann. Then, Nick "I'm still healthy" Johnson had a brainfart and allowed a runner to get on first on a ground ball out that he should have taken himself. All of the sudden, some hits and some runs occur, and Patterson comes out with a guy on third. But Mike "I really" Stankton couldn't keep that runner from scoring, so the Big Nasty doesn't get a decision and has three earned runs tacked onto his line. It should be a crime that Stankton got the win. He deserves nothing but that big BS after his name.

Fortunately, the Nats have a guy by the name of Alfonso "I play leftfield" Soriano, who carries a big stick. He goes all Albert Pujols on the Braves, hitting three homeruns, including a three run bomb in the soggy eighth inning to put the game away.

This team is hot. They've won five of their last six (and should have won that game in Philly where they lead 6-3 in the eighth)

The game was a sloppy mess at the end. There was an hour rain delay at the beginning, and I am glad that my plans to go to the game were cancelled. Instead, I flipped on WDCA for one of the few network televised games, knowing full well that the game would be delayed since it was pouring outside of my window. I've always wondered why they play M*A*S*H during rain delays. It doesn't matter what station it is, that show is always on, and now, the M*A*S*H theme song rages on in my head. I'll probably have dreams about helicopters coming into baseball stadiums.

I hope I don't have nightmares about relief pitchers, because my teams' bullpens are certainly scary.

(Bonus points if you get the title's reference.)

No comments: