Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stupid?

That is my initial reaction at least to the news that Scott Hatteberg has been DFA'd while Corey Patterson is still on the team. While I'm willing to admit Hatte needed to go because he was a wasted roster spot, he shouldn't have been let go before Patterson and his .240+ on base percentage. Now we'll have to worry that Bruce won't get to play enough. Perhaps they are just holding onto Patterson until Norris Hopper (remember him?) comes back, but I've given the Reds the benefit of the doubt too many times and am not really willing to believe the move has to do with anything other than Toothpick's manlove for Patterson.

I mean, look how long it took for the team to call up Bruce. Now, we all know they were waiting for the Super Two deadline to pass (despite their denial), but rather than doing the smart thing and just calling Bruce up and signing him to a longterm save-some-dough deal like other teams have done with their unproven-yet-highly-talented-can't-miss prospects, they decided to keep him down to save a quick buck while simultaneously throwing away this season. A good June could turn things around, but it might be too late.

I was not a Toothpick hater, but I am an eager and enthusiastic convert.

I'm so mad I thought about not going to the game tonight. I hope Scotty is signed by another team. I wonder if the Mets might pick him up with Delgado hitting like a blind man under water while sipping the last breaths of oxygen in his punctured tank.
___

No comments: