Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blessed be the game

I stopped by the National Cathedral to snap a few photos, including one for my new banner. I had intended on capturing the image of the cathedral towering above a school's baseball field next to it, but the infield was covered with tarps and there were soccer goals behind the backstop!

I went ahead and snapped a few photos anyway but had to hurry so I could get home and listen to Marty and Joe calling Homer Bailey's first start of the spring. Though Homer's performance in the second inning was disappointing, it was still great to hear the Old Lefthander, even if he couldn't figure out who was up to bat!

I thought I'd show the original photo of what I used for my banner, as I thought it was pretty cool. It's kind of like you're going into Heaven if you go into the church.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get an earlier start, because the cathedral is absolutely beautiful - I snapped the equivalent of a role of film in just 15 minutes. But it is freezing out today, not even 40 degrees, and the sunshine had fooled me in my choice of dress, so no gloves and just a fleece was not enough to combat the wind - one last hurrah for the winter's wrath.

Given that the church is non-denominational, shouldn't there be a weekly Baseball service?

Here are a couple of other photos of the cathedral that I liked. You can click on them to make them bigger if you'd like.











No comments: