Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Jesus is a baseball fan

People often find this site searching for sermons or prayers or something religious and baseball. That, of course, is to be expected. But it is also something to contemplate, especially as I sit outside and some crackhead with a bullhorn is shouting Jesus this and Jesus that and you're all sinners and going to Hell! Yeah, that really makes me want to join your religion.

The web searches say something - whether it is about the nature of baseball or the nature of the American Jesus, I'm not sure. But I do know that baseball is a spiritual game, one that heightens your senses and gives you a dose of the joy of life. Just thinking about how close we're getting to Opening Day gives me a great smile. The guy on the corner is too cracked out on Jesus to understand that joy as he screams about death and Hell and ruins the peace for so many people who just want enjoy their lunch in the sunshine. Maybe he needs some baseball in his life.

I hope there is never a closer whose name is Jesus. I cringe at the thought of the headline "Jesus saves!"

No comments: