Sunday, February 25, 2007

In lieu of watching the Oscars...

I did not go to the Nationals single season ticket sale on Saturday at RFK, as I was not in too much of a hurry to purchase tix since I have a season ticket plan, but I want to get a couple of games that aren't in my package, namely the two other Reds games and a couple of other games that I won't mention because they are going to sell out when people realize what is going to happen around that time in the season. (No more hints!) Most of my tickets will look like the 2007 version of the ticket to the right. Cool, huh? But the four other games I have my eye on will not look like that unless I buy them from another season ticket holder.

I want real tickets from RFK for those games rather than a Ticketbastard ticket or a print-from-home ticket for various reasons, one being to avoid all of those stupid per ticket charges and service charges (I mean, why should I have to pay to use MY printer?) Another is that I am rather particular about my tickets. I mean, what if some monumental feat is accomplished during the game - a no hitter, a milestone home run, the first game of a no name rookie who turns out to be the next Lou Gehrig? You want a real ticket, like a season ticket or the tickets to the left, not some generic white ticket or a printed piece of paper, right?

Tomorrow I thought I'd hit the team store that's only three or four blocks from where I work. Turns out the team store doesn't sell tickets like other team stores in the country do. Nor does any other place in the city, and the RFK box office is only open 10am-5pm Monday through Friday. Given that I work from 8:30-5pm and that it is about a twenty minute Metro ride to RFK plus a ten minute walk to the Metro, my lunch hour isn't enough time. So I am left with the option of paying the ridiculous charges, which won't get me my real tickets anyway, or taking time off work just to pick up tix, which I can't really do on account of future missed work for day games. Or I can cross my fingers and hope the tix I want don't sell out before the season starts! If I had been on the ball, I would have stopped down at RFK, but I wanted to see the GWU vs. UM games at College Park.

My point is - why not open a couple of hours every Saturday in March to sell tix? A lot of people are still old fashioned - it's the nature of a baseball fan. Or maybe I just want an excuse to go down to the ballpark! (Mmm...baseball...)

This isn't a complaint, but an observation. I was just surprised to discover the team store doesn't sell tickets. Or if it does, there is no information on the website about it. Sneaky ploy to make us pay extraneous charges and fees for a couple of pieces of paper? Hmm... :)

That last photo is of all my tix from 2006. Yeah, I save every ticket stub. Baseball fans are weird sometimes!
___

No comments: