Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Players Are Human?

I am sitting at my desk right now staring out at the brilliant blue sky and daydreaming about baseball. I can feel the cold creeping around the old window but the light of the sky is beginning to give off a spring color and makes it tough to stay inside and wait around for baseball to begin.

I was thinking about the players getting ready to go off to Spring Training. We demand a lot from players, don't we? We cheer or scream at them, bug them for autographs, praise or complain about them through blogs and newspapers, and wear their names on our backs or their images across our chests. I know that I, for one, am not interested in their personal lives, but then again, I've never really been into celebrity worship (unless that celebrity is one of four members of a certain Irish rock band!)

We've reached the final two weeks before the grind begins for them. I imagine this is the time of year when they try to cram as much time with their families as possible, when they begin to think about what they need to pack, when phone calls are coming in about airline tickets, and, I'd like to think, a little nervous excitement starts to rumble inside them. It must be pretty tough, though, leaving their families at this time when the kids are still in school and can't travel with them.

Oh, baseball, hurry up and get here!
___

No comments: