Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Put me in coach!

I have a good job. I know that you wouldn't be able to tell from my amount of complaining about it, but that was mostly due to my boss whose last day was Friday. Now I have no boss. But even when I did, there were perks. Like listening to music all day long. I know a lot of places don't allow it, but I have a whole laptop full of music. I just put on the headphones, hit scramble, and listen the day away.

Right now, John Fogarty's Centerfield is on. Just the opening guitar rift of that song is enough to bring visions of sunshine and a wave of excitement over a baseball fan.
Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.
Oh yeah, we can understand the feeling. Across the Baseblogosphere right now, sentiments of excitement and anticipation are expressed with exclamation points, something we are all feeling right now while ice and snow coat the Northern half of the country. No other sport has the same sense of anticipation, for with baseball comes warmth and light and all of those beautiful things that make life so great. While football, hockey, and basketball are starting, winter's impending gloom is whispered in autumn winds through rustling, dying leaves. Baseball is renewal. We're the only ones whose hearts jump when a few players show up for workouts nearly two months before the season begins. Sure, fans of other sports feel excitement for the start of their seasons, but it isn't the same thing. It can't be. The very nature of baseball is how it represents joie de vivre.

And now I must go out to the delightful wintry mix and hope the bus doesn't slide off the road on my way home. (Stupid snow day nazis making us work in this mess, mutter, mutter...)

No comments: