Tuesday, June 12, 2007

On Jeff Conine

Back in the winter, when DeWayne Sweaterpants The Trade Krivsky signed Jeff Conine, I thought it was a good idea. The um, what are the people who hate old people called? Gerisomethings...anyway, they hated him because of his age. I didn't think it mattered much, because players are playing better at older ages than in the past thanks to nutritional and health technology. I'd always kind of liked him for some reason - even put his baseball cards in plastic pages back in the day. I could look

Well, today, in light of Chad's bringing to my attention the fact that Jeff Conine is on the photo of the World Series matchup post (scroll down), I looked up his stats. It was more to kill the last few minutes until I was allowed back into the free world from the confines of the office.

Jeff Conine is 48 hits away from 2000 career hits. A milestone to look forward to!

Ok, I'm really only half joking. Just think about it. In the whole history of the game, only 245 players have had 2000 hits. That's not a lot. Jeff Conine has a very solid Major League career, hitting .286/.348/.446 with 212 HR and 1056 RBI. Not too shabby. So when he hits number 2000 sometime this season, if he hasn't been traded, let's all give him a standing O!

And now...tick...tick...tick...freedom! At least for a few hours! Woohoo! Time to go home!
___

No comments: