Friday, June 22, 2007

Poor O's fans

The more I think about the Orioles' situation, the more I can sympathize with O's fans. I think Reds and O's fans are sort of kindred spirits, two storied franchises with winning pasts who have been gutted by poor ownership. At least us Reds fans have a new guy who seems committed to winning, even if he refuses to FIRE NARRON! The O's seem to be stuck with Devilos for all eternity. Whatever sin did you commit, O's fans, to put you in such an inferno?

The latest pow to the jaw for them is Tejada's fractured wrist. It's a shame that his consecutive games streak may stop at 1152 games if he is unable to play this evening. Back when I used to live near the Bay Area and Tejada played for the A's, I was amused at the Tejada cheer fans used to do to the tune of "Tequilla!" Now when I see Tejada play, I think back with a sense of sad nostalgia about the lack of "Tejada!" because living in California was great even if the circumstances which put me there were not.

I spent my first two seasons in DC watching O's games. It was pretty strange for me to go to so many American League games after a lifetime of National League baseball, but I enjoyed it all the same. The best moment was probably when I saw Raffy pass Mantle on the all-time HR list. Unfortunately, Devilos' treatment of the Nats caused me to undertake a personal boycott of the team, and I haven't set foot in Oriole Park for two years. I'd like to go back, though, now that the Nats have owners and a television station.

Know, O's fans, that you have my deepest sympathies about Tejada and the deplorable state of your franchise.

No comments: