Wednesday, March 29, 2006

And this one belongs to the Reds!

One of the sweetest sentences ever uttered.

It was the ninth inning. Aaron Harang had pitched well but grew tired in the sixth, giving up 3 runs and turning it over to Matt Belisle, who hopefully will be shipped to Louisville today, with a 7-3 lead. The score was 7-6 at the end of the inning and stayed that way when the ninth came up. Coffey strikes out the first guy but he reaches on a wild pitch, moves around the bases and stands on third with no outs, but the Rays or the Devil Rays or whatever they are called now failed on the suicide squeeze (which had just happened to the Reds in the last inning.) Double play ends the game, and this one belongs to the Reds, bringing their spring record to 19-11. Yes, I know it is Spring Training. But they are playing so well, and Opening Day is in five days, and it is always good to get a running start into the season...

Non-Reds fans, I'll say the name again: Aaron Harang. Here's a fantasy league tip for you: Aaron Harang.

There'll be none of that fifth place finish that I keep seeing all over the place in predictions about this season. NONE OF IT. So quit throwing the Reds in the same sentence as the Devil Rays or Diamondbacks or Rockies or Nationals. Oops, did I say that? (There's just been so much drama this spring that my enthusiasm is somewhat deflated. Don't get me wrong - I'm ready for the Nats season; I'm even going to the exhibition game Friday. I just need something good to happen for once, like Roger Clemens deciding he wants to play for the team or some farfetched miracle like that.)

No comments: