Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Another ex-Red soon to retire?

Burba released by Mariners
Kenton Ridge grad and Springfield native Dave Burba, 39, was released by the Seattle Mariners on Friday. Burba, a non-roster invitee, told the team’s web site he would try to hook on with another Major League team, but would not go back to the Minors. “I hope maybe another team will call,” said Burba. “If not, I’ll go home and be with my kids and my wife and drive them crazy instead of being here and driving everyone crazy.” Burba, who has 12 years of Major League service, said he would consider being a pitching coach.
Burba was best known for being traded for the Mayor, who should still be in Cincinnati now. He was a lifelong Reds fan, and the trade deprived him of an Opening Day start for his boyhood team. While he doesn't bring any sentimental memories to my mind, it still is kind of depressing to see him go. Even the magic of baseball can't stop the passage of time.

No comments: