Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Free the Nationals!

See the image to the right? It's a Baltimore Orioles stock certificate. Can we all pool our resources and buy out the Orioles? Peter Devilos has affected an entire city's ability to watch their team on television.

YES I'M ANGRY.

That's right, non-Nationals fans. Peter Devilos, owner of the Baltimore Orioles, has made sure that Washington Nationals fans cannot see their team play on television if they actually live in the District, you know, the place where the Nationals play. And evil Comcast is letting him get his way. [I wish people cared enough to organize a boycott against Comcast, but, alas, no one sacrifices these days. It's too much to ask people to get rid of their cable television, isn't it?] A hearing before Congress is scheduled for Friday.

YES, I'M ANGRY.

Last year, I watched about 80% of the Nats games, half of them online. Now, I am listening to the radio because the game is blacked out on MLB.TV. I'm also watching the Brewers-Pirates game with the sound turned off. (Casey's up!) Yeah, I know, last year I would have said Milwalkee verses Pittsburgh would be the last game I would watch, but both teams have some great young players, like Jason Bay, who just hit one out.

YES, I'M ANGRY.

While I'm talking about how DCites are abused, non-DC folk, did you also know that us residents of DC don't have Congressional representation? That's right, 500,000 people who live in the capital of the democratic world don't have a democratic voice. But that's another story.

YES, I'M ANGRY.

You know, I spent two years in DC rooting for the Orioles before the Nats came. I and many others would have continued to go to a couple O's games a year, I'm sure, but with this jerk Devilos pulling all of his selfish antics, I won't spend money on tickets to his park. And it's sad, because Camden Yards is such a nice place to see baseball.

Update: Nationals Enquirer and Federal Baseball are equally as angry.

No comments: