Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The loneliest player

I am watching the hated Yankees-A's game right now. In the space where commercials are on, they are simply showing Jason Kendall receiving warmup pitches, an overhead solo shot of the back of the catcher wearing his tools of ignorance. Most of the mics in the booth are turned off, but you can faintly hear the crowd, and The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony (such fond college memories) is playing in the background. It's a pretty awesome picture; something about it moves me, like it is a work of art.

It takes a certain kind of person to be a catcher. You don't quite fit in with the position players, but you don't fit in with the pitchers either. Even though a good catcher is in control of the whole game, it can be a lonely place behind the plate.

I was a catcher once upon a time, all because no one else wanted to play the brutal position. As a kid, I had been on track to most likely play third base, but in eighth grade, no one would don the gear, so I voluteered. I was a catcher for the next five years on some pretty good teams (even once got to go to Australia for an international tournament.) I have a slighty crooked right index finger from foul balls hitting my throwing hand.

Respect all catchers - they have the toughest job on the field. Go A's. At least for this series.

Frank Thomas doesn't look right in a green uniform.

Update: Oh yeah, Yanks lose in the bottom on the ninth.

No comments: