Monday, April 03, 2006

The start of the 2006 season sputters...

Rain Delay? On Opening Night? What's this about? The baseball gods must be pissed off, for why else would they send this storm and ruin Opening Night? Maybe they want to rightfully give Cincy back the first game of the season. Maybe it's just global warming. But a rainout on the first game of the season? That can't be a good sign. National disgrace better back off with the steroids thing, lest he ruin the sport forever. The baseball gods just don't seem to like him.

I was rooting for the Tribe. I don't have ESPN, so I had to go to Buffalo Billiards to watch the game. I was there with 10 others who were watching, which was nice, especially when they were cheering when something good happened. Something bad happened, too, when Sabathia left the game with an injury. (It turned out to be an ab sprain, so hopefully he won't miss a start.) I'm not sure what it is about that place, but I got two free beers and was charged happy hour price for the others, the second time I got free beer there in the last month. All of this at a time when I am trying to grow my hair out after I cut it short in boredom last month and it looks like a mess. Maybe they just feel sorry for me because of it. I'm not complaining.

Danny Graves relieved Sabathia, though not very well. It was good to see him make the team, despite his throwing a ball into center field in a pick off attempt and his five hundred walks in his one inning. Cincy pretty much destroyed his career in the 2003 attempt to make him a starter, and I wish him well in this new season.

The first pitch of the game brought a tear of joy to my eye. Seriously. I love this game that much.

So the Nats game is on ESPN, destroying my plans of watching the game on television and the Reds game online. Unless I can find a bar with the Nats game AND wireless, I'll just have to miss the Nats game. I think I've only missed one Reds Opening Day in my life, and it was one when I was in Europe before MLB.TV was invented. I won't be missing this one, either. Fado has wireless. If they have ESPN, I'm set for the day. Please have ESPN...Please have ESPN...Please have ESPN. UPDATE - it's on WDCA, too, woohoo!

It'd be easier if I knew someone with ESPN. And wireless.

Go Reds! Prove everyone wrong! Go Nats! Yay, it's baseball!

No comments: