Saturday, April 29, 2006

Why, Nats, Why?

On ¡Livan!'s best outing of the year, the Nats had silent bats when they had runners in scoring position. It's not like they didn't get runners on. Carpenter gave up nine hits. You can run down the list - Soriano was on twice, Vidro was on three times, Guillen was on twice, Byrd was on three times, Schneider was on once...it's those LOBs, those hideous, hideous LOBs. Nick left six of them all on his own.

When is Sir Albert going to be stopped? I hope he gets all of his homers out of the way early and runs out of gas by the end of the year, because at this rate, the Deadbirds will be unstoppable as the season progress. Soon people will be saying Barry Who? He's on pace to hit 94 blessed longballs. Yes, I know he won't stay on that pace, but he's going to have to have his head torn off to stop him from hitting at least 60, in my opinion. The worst of it is, and I noticed it today, you know when he's going to hit out. Even the Deadbirds announcers said "it just feels like he's going to do something here." Everyone in the ballpark knew, and there was nothing anyone could have done to stop it. You could run out Clemens, Pedro, Schilling - it wouldn't matter who was on the mound. The only other player I've ever experienced that with is Bonds.

The Nats take on the Deadbirds for a series tie tomorrow before heading on to New York to face the evil Mets for two and then returning home to take on Dan Ugly and the AAA Fish. I feel like if the Nats could just win a few games in a row, they'd get back on track. This is not a bad team. Yes, there are pitching woes, but if
¡Livan! is coming around as he seems to be, and with Armas proving to be a very solid third starter, and with JP's arm fully healed in a week, we'll be alright. It's amazing, too, what new ownership will do. Look at the Reds! They are 17-7, best in baseball and breaking the team franchise record for most wins in April, a franchise with a pretty good history of incredible teams.

Pray Sir Albert goes into a deep, deep slump.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I ask, what inspired you to theme this blog as extensively as you have? And did you choose religion for a particular reason?

I have to tell you, it's really impressive. Everything is designed. Even the language of each post is (seemingly) effortlessly infused with the rhetoric: Today it was "Blessed longballs" and "Pray Sir Albert goes into a slump."

Though, I do feel a little uncomfortable with my pseudonym, here. :)

Cathie said...

Thanks for the compliment!

As you probably know, Church of Baseball is from a quote from Annie Savoy in Bull Durham. "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. And the only church that truly feeds the soul, day-in day-out, is the Church of Baseball."

The phrase popped into my mind one day and I thought it the perfect title for a blog. It wasn't until after I designed it that I remembered it was from that movie. It must have been drifting around in my subconscience somewhere. It's totally appropriate, because sometimes, on a perfectly beautiful day at the ballpark, you can reach a state of joy that rivals what religious people say they feel, something resembling what I can only describe as elation. To me, this game is the perfect microcosmic example of how great life is, and there are very few things better in life than sitting at the ballpark with friends and family, eating a hotdog, drinking a beer, rooting on your team, and forgetting the problems of the world.

I wanted something different. The other blogs do good jobs at game reports, news, player profiles, etc. I knew I could never compete with the likes of Red Reporter, Red Hot Mama, and Redleg Nation, among others, without having something new and completely different, because they are well established and very good.

This blog is still new, so I am still trying to develop my themes. I have a couple things already in the works, some recurring themes that are just waiting for the opportune time. It's really fun. I only hope I can be entertaining.