Sunday, March 22, 2009

I was rooting for a Venezuela-USA final

One, I wanted a rematch. Two, I am as sick of Japan and Korea as I am the Red $ox and the Bankee$. Three, the politico in me wanted a Chavez-Obama matchup. But hey, at least we get our catcher back.

Regardless, I think it is important that USA beats Japan tonight so that American interest in the tournament is piqued. So many people have been missing out on incredible baseball.

Next time, though, I hope they play the tournament without so much space in between days. Chipper Jones said he loved his time with Team USA, but if they don't change the format, he won't play next time. I understand completely. It's stupid how they have so many off days. I was getting so excited for each day's games, and then there'd only be one or none and my enthusiasm waned a little (not a lot, but I am a WBC diehard.) They could play the whole tournament in about two weeks - it's not like playing everyday is different than Spring Training. I'm all for what Jon Miller suggested tonight - shorten the season during WBC years. I want the season shortened every year - 150 games. There is no reason the World Series should go into November.

But that's the cool thing about watching the WBC in its infancy - we can see the learning process and make it better next time. I think they'll probably do something about the roster issues, too, allowing teams to replace injured players at any time, and not just the ones on a provisional roster.

Man, I love this tournament.
___

No comments: