Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Field of Nightmares

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamed that a gamma ray hit the earth and a reddish brown haze was taking over the atmosphere. This is a result of some show I saw on the History Channel yesterday about how science could fulfill biblical prophecies. Anyway, in the dream, I woke up and the gamma ray was only a dream, but it was 3pm when I woke and it was starting to get dark and I was mad at myself for sleeping so late. Then I played Legend of Zelda. Then I woke up in the dream again and it was only 11:30am, still late but not as bad as 3pm and I was relieved that it was earlier and that had only been a dream. Then I woke up for real.

Sometimes I think that when I do my daily check of Reds news that what I think is real about the Reds is only a dream, but it never is. Willy Taveras is still on the roster. There's still no leftfielder. There's still pop but no power. Jeff Brantley and George Grande are still broadcasters. Marty still thinks of Bill James as the enemy. Dusty Baker still chews toothpicks in the dugout. We still have an eight year (nine?) losing streak. But maybe I'm still in a dream and I'll wake up and Nick Swisher will be in leftfield (or Adam Dunn!) and Davey Johnson or Lou Pinella will be our real manager and Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be our catcher and we'll have a centerfielder who can hit it out of the infield. Or something like that.
___

No comments: