Saturday, December 12, 2009

Church for Church

Ryan Church was non-tendered by the Braves today. I wouldn't mind seeing him compete for a leftfield spot on the Reds. (See? I'm a fan.)

In my opinion, Church got the shaft when he was with the Nationals, which really impeded his progress. Old Leatherpants just didn't like him. When they finally let him play as a full-time starter in 2007, he hit .272/.349/.464 with 15 homers and 70 RBI in 144 games.

Of course, injuries are a problem for him, but he might make a good platoon with Gomes if the Reds can sign Gomes. I suppose if they can sign Gomes, they won't have the money to sign Church. And this is assuming they won't be able to sign Nix.

You know how sometimes you just take a liking to a player for no explainable reason? Church is one of those guys for me. I won't be upset if the Reds make a run for him.

No comments: