Sunday, April 01, 2007

One Sweet World - First Game of the Year Edition

The little things about going to see a baseball game are as important as the game itself. Yesterday I attended an exhibition game between the Nats and the Orioles, and I could barely contain my excitement as I caught my first glimpse of RFK Stadium this year. I was overwhelmed with the sense of utter joy that is reserved for the most precious occasions in life, and yes, the first baseball game of the year is precious. I was pumped about passing the vendors and stopped for my routine $2 hotdog with sauerkraut.

As you ascend from the bowels of the city to the surface, you first encounter this saxophone player, who plays "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and is an integral part of the whole RFK baseball experience. You know, I don't think I've ever given him money. I'll have to do that sometime, because I really appreciate him sitting there playing that thing.

Ryan Zimmerman greets you as you make your way around the DC National Guard Armory on your way to the stadium. Amazing that a 22 year old second year player can be the face of a franchise, but this guy is that good. I was glad to see that my two favorite Nats - Zimmerman and Kearns - have become buddies. They were always together on the field.

The ticket takers were full of smiles and were genuinely friendly. They seemed as excited as I was for the game and the season to start. In fact, everyone seemed pretty happy, even the MASN folks who stood outside and handed out magnetic schedules so we could know when a game is on MASN and when a game is on MASN2. Oh, and there is a lot of orange on that schedule. I wonder if it's another intentional slap in the Nats' face. Regardless, even that animosity did not exist as everyone was just happy to be at the ballpark. I give kudos to the front office for making it feel like a real game. I've been to the two other exhibition games, and the stadium opened with a skeleton crew, had very few concessions, and the scoreboard pretty much only kept score, and not even that accurately. Yesterday they had all sorts of entertainment - a band before the game, the Zooperstars - which I will write about in another post - and all of the trivia and scoreboard stuff you come to get used to at a modern day ballgame.

Thought this photo could sum up the game rather well. I hope over time the Nats-O's games will develop an intense rivalry. Despite the two teams being in different leagues, there is much more to fight about, including television markets. Anthony from Oriole Post was at the game and has posted some photos on his blog. It's always nice to meet a fellow blogger!

While the Nats were taking batting practice - and they did second, so Nats fans could watch (should be that way all year) - President Stan Kasten and other Nats VIPs were roaming the field. I didn't hear anyone yell something about The Plan, but I do know there was a negative aura around that man, like he was emitting some sort of metaphysical disappointment or something. It felt like 100 losses.


Leatherpants was hanging out around the batting cage when I arrived but disappeared into the clubhouse before too many people got to the park. I had on a fleece pullover on top of the Reds t-shirt I was wearing (I usually wear a Reds shirt and Nats cap to the games) because it was a bit chilly, but as soon as I saw old Leatherpants, I ripped off the pullover, as if somehow he would see me wearing the Reds shirt and feel bad about what he did there.

Nick Johnson was limping a bit, poor guy. I really wish he could play, especially after seeing the One Ton Wife Beater playing at first. Another former Red. D'angelo Jimenez also saw some playing time in addition to Kearns and Lopez, of course.

Part 2 with plenty of pictures will be forthcoming, as I took over 300 photos Here are a couple more:



No comments: